Hi Everyone, I hope you’re doing well, and I’m excited to work with you virtually! To feature you at your best, please read through everything below as it’ll help assure clean and consistent audio and video.
Video submission deadline:
Thursday, December 10th by Sunset
(5:14pm in South Bend)
Sleigh Ride Click Track on Dropbox
(thank you to Mark Portolese for creating this)
RECORDING & SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS:
- Tune to A440
- Attire is black bottoms and festive tops. You can wear a Santa hat or reindeer ears if you like!
- If possible, film in natural light from a window. Most important is to not mix artificial and natural light.
- Position yourself opposite a window so that light is on your face. Please do NOT place a window or bright light behind you.
- Use a tripod or similar to secure your phone or camera. If you submit handheld video, I will ask you to reshoot. Your music stand will also work.
- Place your phone/camera roughly 4-6 feet from you so that we get cleaner audio and a good shot of you. It’s OK if we don’t see all of your instrument.
- Use your phone’s primary/back camera, NOT the selfie camera that faces you. Yes, you won’t be able to see yourself while filming, but the primary camera is always better quality. Please don’t use a laptop/desktop camera, they’re terrible.
- Film in HORIZONTAL/LANDSCAPE orientation. If you film in vertical orientation, I will ask you to reshoot.
- Frame the shot so that you’re generally facing the camera. You may need to position your camera just above or to the side of your music stand.
- Since you can’t see the phone display while playing, you may need a partner to help set up the shot, or make some test recordings until you and the camera are in good spots.
- If you know how to manually set your focus and exposure, and you have a partner to help with this, please do so! (On iPhones, you press and hold over the subject on screen until “AE/AF Lock” appears.)
- Camera settings: 4K at 30fps (frames-per-second) is preferred, but 1080p at 30fps is also great (don’t sweat this too much). If you need help changing your settings, try the tips at these links:
- Wipe the camera lens with a soft towel to clean it.
- Play the click track into earbuds/headphones from a separate phone/computer/Kindle/iPad. Do NOT play the track out loud.
- Hit record on your phone, settle in place, hit play on the track and follow Mark’s instructions. During the count-in, I also recommend playing a couple notes at full volume to help the phone adjust audio levels.
- One take is preferred, but feel free to send 2-3 if you’re not happy with something. Just tell me in the video or email me a note about what to fix, and I’ll magically fix it. 🙂
- Most of all, have fun!
Advanced Audio (optional)
If you have the equipment and knowledge, please feel free to record your audio on a separate device, and I’ll be happy to sync the files.
- AIFF or WAV
- 24-bit at 48K
- Peak levels -24 to -12 db
- No processing, please
- If you happen to record in Logic Pro X, just send me your project file.
Please do not edit your videos.
Upload to my DROPBOX (preferred)
Follow that link on your phone (or computer), and your web browser will open and allow you to choose the video file(s) from your photo or media library. You shouldn’t need the Dropbox app.
Google Drive, iCloud, Box, etc., are also good options, just send me a download link.
Email may work, but only if the video can be sent at full size (for instance, using Apple’s Mail Drop)
Do NOT text me the video because it destroys the quality.
Please feel free to contact me with questions/concerns and tech issues.
Many, many thanks, and can’t wait to see and hear you all!!!
— Dave 847.830.0947