Hi! Please read everything below to create clean audio/video that features you at your best.
- Have fun!
- Find a quiet room with natural daylight from a window.
- Don’t mix artificial and natural light.
- Place yourself opposite a window so that light is on your face. Don’t place a window or bright light behind you.
- Any wall behind you should be at least 6 feet away to provide visual separation.
- Turn off all fans (heat, air conditioning, ceiling fans, etc.)
- Use a tripod or similar. No handheld video, please.
- Place your phone 3-4 feet in front of you for clean audio and a well-framed shot.
- Use your phone’s primary/back camera. Do NOT use the selfie camera, it’s poorer quality. Please don’t use a laptop/desktop camera, they’re terrible. Repeat: do NOT use the selfie camera.
- You can’t see the phone’s screen, so have a partner frame the shot, or make test recordings until you and the camera are set.
- Use HORIZONTAL/LANDSCAPE orientation, like a film or TV show. If you film vertically, I will ask you to reshoot.
- If you know how to manually set focus and exposure, and have a partner to help with this, please do so! (On iPhones, press and hold over the subject until “AE/AF Lock” appears.)
- Preferred camera settings: 4K at 30fps (frames-per-second). 1080p at 30fps is also great (don’t sweat this too much).
- Instructions for changing camera settings at these links:
- Clean the camera lens with a soft towel, then smile and hit Record.
- Keep the camera rolling and record as many takes as you want.
- Feel free to record one sentence, then look at your script, then record the next one, and so on.
- Don’t worry about dead air or flubs. Just take a moment to regroup and begin your thought again.
- Please don’t edit your video, I’ll take care of you. 🙂
- Most of all, have fun!
Upload to DROPBOX (preferred)
Follow that link on your phone (or computer), and your web browser will open and allow you to choose the video file(s) from your photo or media library. You shouldn’t need the Dropbox app.
Google Drive, iCloud, Box, etc., are all good, just send me a download link.
Email may work, but only if the video can be sent at full size (for instance, using Apple’s Mail Drop)
Do NOT text me the file because it scales the video down.
Please feel free to contact me with questions/concerns and tech issues.